Kempower - EV fast-charging fairytale

Let’s kick-off a thread about Kempower, probably the most interesting stock in my tech coverage right now. I’m a Finnish analyst with 4 years experience in the industry and I cover 9 stocks at Inderes currently. We initiated coverage of Kempower in 15th August with a recommendation ‘Accumulate’ and target price of 20 euros. The full initiation report in English is behind this link.

I’m willing to answer any questions related to Kempower. Actually, I’ve received some questions by e-mail this morning and would like to share those to this forum in order to initiate some conversation. I was asked about profitability, competitive positioning & scalability of Kempower’s business, so let’s get into it one by one:

Competitive positioning: Kempower benefits from decades of R&D work made by its former parent company Kemppi Oy, a Finnish non-listed welding machinery manufacturer. Since the welding machines use similar DC power technology than EV fast chargers, Kempower was able to launch a range of very competitive products in 2019, just two years after the company was spun-off from Kemppi. It has gained market shares rapidly, thanks to its high quality products. Maybe the most advanced technical feature is Kempower’s dynamic power control (up to 8 cars may charge from one charger simultaneously and the power is shared between cars efficiently). Modularity, scalability, durability and customer-friendly design are other factors that make the products appealing.

The competition includes names like ABB e-Mobility and Tritium that have big R&D resources and they are of course trying to develop better technology all the time. Kempower’s technology is not protected with strong patents but I think it will take years before the competition is able to catch-up with certain features. In the meantime Kempower has time to increase its market share and become one of the key players in the industry. It will be able to increase its market share in the Europe and North America to 8 % in 2022e (2021: 3 %) according to our estimates. We have assumed the share could reach 15 % by 2026 thanks to expanding distribution network and persisting technological advantages over medium-term. There’s of course a lots of uncertainty regarding the estimates beyond 2023.

Profitability: Generally, EV charging manufacturers are not yet profitable due to front-loaded ramp-up costs. Kempower is more profitable than its main competitors ABB and Tritium (there’s many smaller competitors which do not publish their numbers). Kempower’s gross margin is clearly better (Kempower 2021: 46 %, Tritium 2022e: 22 % according to Bloomberg consensus, ABB eMobility 25-30 %). ABB is also in “slow” AC-charging business, a heavily competed segment, which partially explains its lower gross margins. Kempower’s EBIT was close to break-even in 2021 despite rapidly growing organisation and EBIT will be positive for 2022 (2 % of sales) according to our estimates. Looking to major competitors, Tritium was heavily loss-making in 2021 (EBIT -87% of sales) despite being bigger than Kempower and ABB is targeting neutral EBITDA in 2022). We expect Kempower’s EBIT margin to improve over time thanks to revenue scaling up quickly (2026e: 16,4 % of sales).

Kempower’s relatively high profitability stems from its high-quality but cost-efficient products but I think it has lots of room to improve in the future. The generally low profitability in the industry may slow-down the price-competition over medium-term. The competitors are looking to improve their gross margins over medium-term as many of them are currently heavily loss-making. Tritium has aimed for EBITDA of over 20% and ABB around 15-20%. We believe Kempower will reach large enough scale over long-term to succeed in price competition that’s likely to take place as the industry grows more mature.

Scalability: The production can be scaled up relatively easily, as it consists mainly of assembly of the various components and testing. However, component shortages may become a limiting factor in the short-term although it has not yet prevented Kempower’s deliveries so far. The current factory in Lahti can produce equipment of 200 MEUR per year and there will be another factory in US which is expected to start manufacturing in mid 2023 according to our estimates.

As Kempower’s sales consists of mainly hardware sales, the revenue is not recurring by nature. However, the customer-base is diversified. There’s also stickyness in customer relationships and we have seen existing customers making repeated orders with a tendency to increase their orders over time.

Other important notes regarding my analysis:
Medium-term financial targets seem conservative to me. The company aims for sales of 200 MEUR and EBIT-margin of 10 % by 2025-27. I think this could be achieved already in 2024 or even 2023 thanks to the strong order intake in 2022 so far. Long-term EBIT-margin target of >15 % is more ambitious but achievable, I think.

Current valuation already assumes that the company exceeds its mid-term financial targets. In case that the revenue of 200 MEUR won’t be achieved by 2024 I think the share price is likely to decline materially.

6 gillningar

We spent some time with @Isa_Hudd yesterday discussing about Kempower and the investment case. You can watch the video here:

4 gillningar

Thanx @pauli.lohi for your great answers and research! I really recommend P.Lohis latest published resarch on Kempower, link below:

4 gillningar

This is a very interesting company, someone called it the Tesla of Lahti? Was that you @Verneri_Pulkkinen ? :slight_smile: Where does this nickname come from?

Anyway, Kempower is doing well.

2 gillningar

Here a link to today’s CMD:

1 gillning

Analyst Pauli Lohi interviewed the CEO of Kempower in English on, among other things, the company’s first quarter and its future.

I have subscribed to your channel, it is really good.

4 gillningar

https://news.alertir.com/kempower/en/press/release/2132182

Kempower has confirmed a new order for the delivery of high-power charging technology for electric vehicles to a massive customer in the United Kingdom.

Apparently, this news wasn’t significant enough to alter the forecasts, so these types of orders are somewhat expected, right?

In any case, it was good news. :slight_smile:

2 gillningar

Here’s a new analysis of Finland’s “Tesla.” :open_mouth:

1 gillning

“Kempower’s CEO Tomi Ristimäki in an interview with analyst Pauli Lohi.” :slight_smile:

2 gillningar

Here is the freshest analysis of Tesla in Lahti.

1 gillning

Kempower went public about a year and a half ago, and the performance has been impressive, especially when looking at the stock price.

I haven’t invested in this ‘Tesla of Lahti’ yet. :slight_smile:

2 gillningar

En analytiker intervjuade Teslas VD i Finland om Kempower’s snabba framsteg. :fire:

1 gillning

Kempower har skapat betydande diskussion i Finland. Företaget växer väldigt snabbt, och dess aktiekurs har ökat markant.

Jag ser en liknande fördom mot Kempower som Tesla upplevde en gång i tiden. Jag tycker att Kempower är mycket intressant.

Själv äger jag inte (ännu) aktier i Kempower.

Definitivt värt att läsa den här analysen av företaget. :point_down: :slight_smile:

2 gillningar

Här är en utmärkt omfattande och gratis aktieanalytikers rapport/analys på cirka 40 sidor om Kempower. :slight_smile:

Vissa talar som om det här vore Finlands nya “Nokia”. Det vet jag inte, men Kempower har verkligen presterat utmärkt.

Jag äger inte aktier i företaget.

5 gillningar

Kempower verkar inte inom samma bransch som Nokia gjorde på sin tid och inte heller inom samma bransch som Tesla, men:

• Kempower har jämförts med Nokia.
  • Kempower har jämförts med Tesla och kallats “Finlands Tesla”. Eller så kallas det Lahtis Tesla, Lahtis är en finsk stad där företaget kommer ifrån.

Många ser detta som ett företag för framtiden, med en fantastisk historia och ännu mer fantastiska framtidsutsikter globalt sett. Andra å andra sidan känner till företagets imponerande historia men anser att företaget är mycket riskfyllt och att dess aktie är dyr. :slight_smile:

Här är en utmärkt analys av detta mycket intressanta företag:

(Inderes är ett oberoende företag som enligt min åsikt producerar de bästa analyserna. Jag litar på dem eftersom de inte är alltför optimistiska och utför en extremt högkvalitativ arbete.)

1 gillning

Investeringsinfluencern Verneri intervjuade Tomi Ristimäki från Kempower om detta mycket spännande företag.

Fourth quarter of 2023 was a disappointment for Kempower investors as the order intake was lower than expected. At the same time growth and earnings were also lower than estimated. Kempower is getting ready for a new generation technology which should widen their competitive advantages. Transformation towards BEVs is also progressing as anticipated. CEO Tomi Ristimäki comments in an interview with Verneri Pulkkinen.

Topics:

00:00 Introduction 00:14 Strong growth but order intake below expectations 01:07 Fixed costs higher 02:00 Optimistic guidance 03:24 Next generation technology 05:05 New technology widens comptetitive edge 06:07 NACS-standard in Kempower products 06:45 High interest in USA 08:10 Transformation towards BEVs

2 gillningar

Här är analytikerns “kommentarer” om det senaste nyheterna från företaget.

Många funderar på om detta företag håller på att bli nästa finska jätteföretag… :scream:

2 gillningar

Kempower är en binär investeringsmöjlighet, tycker jag. Antingen vinner den över konkurrenterna på 2030-talet och aktien fördubblas. Eller så blir den medelmåttig och investeringen är inte bra…

1 gillning

Du säger säkert, när kursen är 200: Antingen vinner den sina konkurrenter på 2040-talet och aktien fördubblas. Eller så är den medelmåttig och investeringen är inte bra… :cowboy_hat_face:

“Happamia sanoi kettu pihlajanmarjoista.” - En särskild finländsk ordspråk

Kempower announced changes in the Group Leadership Team. The most significant of these changes was the departure of Tim Joyce, Head of North America. We see this change as a potentially negative signal for the development of the North American businesses, although there is no certainty about the background to the departure.

2 gillningar

Här är en färsk analys av företaget. Det är värt att läsa! :slight_smile:

Kempower lowered its quarterly guidance for Q1 but kept its full-year 2024 guidance unchanged. We do not believe that the setback will have a significant impact on the value of the stock. As we wrote in our previous update, we see some uncertainty in the guidance for 2024 as a whole related to market developments and the ramp-up of deliveries from the two new plants. We believe that the company’s long-term competitiveness remains strong and that the likelihood of continued rapid growth in the coming years is high.

3 gillningar